Saturday, March 16, 2013

Meanwhile at JCMU: Aikido

Here's another one of the awesome opportunities for the JCMU students: Aikido! It's another martial art used mainly for self defense, so I've been told. I was really excited but then also worried/nervous about this cultural event. I was excited because I love martial arts and I haven't done anything martial art-y in a very long time, besides from Naginata last week. I was nervous because it was obviously a hands on activity. I'm a big softy, I bruise & mark easily, poking or grabbing hurts and I probably have fragile bones, but I do have a lot of strength ironically enough.

The cool part about this cultural event, was that there were students from the Aikido circle/club at Shiga University in Hikone, that came to teach us and give a demonstration. They also told us a little bit about what they do and also the use of respectable speech used by the students (i.e. keigo, respectable bow, thanking each other for sparring before & after).

Here are the videos from the Aikido event:




No comments:

Post a Comment